So I took it home and my creative mind started racing how could I use this square and what would I use it for? A quilt for a friend having a baby? Perhaps, a quilt for myself not likely! Or a quilt for my future daughter? YES!! That was it I knew I wanted to be a mommy someday and even though I was not close to that stage of my life I knew that I was going to make a quilt for my daughter from this one square! So I started to looked at patterns and different quilt designs my mom had made but none of them really popped for me and I didn't have the passion to create something that had already been done. So I started sketching my own design which took a few tries. Just like in life when you try something new it takes some time to get it right. Then I went back to the store to with my mom and we both started looking at fabrics that went with this ONE square (for those who quilt one square really is not a lot to go off of) and I came up with the design that I wanted. We went home and I started cutting and piecing this quilt together. I started having a passion to complete this amazing quilt I had created in my mind! Unlike before when I had tried to quilt I knew this was my quilt and I wanted to do the best I could. Things started to fall into place the pieces were coming together the way that I wanted and with every completed step I grew more and more passionate about what I had started. About a month later the quilting process was done and I was working on the boarder. I finally completed my first quilt with my mothers guidance and experience and this quilt was even better than what I had just pictured in my mind. I am now a mom of two beautiful little girls and I love making quilts.
| my finished first quilt |
This whole quilting process now that I appreciate it and enjoy it is a lot like life. We start out just
learning with our parents as our teachers. We fail and we have our own way of doing things.
Sometimes it is truly hard and time consuming it can take a lot of passion to grow and learn to mold yourself into who you want to be. You surround yourself with people that influence you and people who build you up or knock you down. But if you stick to the process and embrace every aspect of it then the end result could be something greater than you ever dreamed. I am in a new stage of my life and building my own business has made me re-invent myself again in a new way. I love the passion that I have to master and make the changes for this new process in my life and am looking forward to helping others do the same.
I would love to share the new passion that i have for helping others with you. If you go to this link http://changeyourlife.buildvma.com/ and enter in your info you can learn more about what I do.
What a great post, Tennille! I love this analogy!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Emily!
ReplyDeleteI made my first quilt at 12, so I relate. Love it!
ReplyDeleteI plan to create a simple quilt for my nieces. I have the design in my mind for a month now. I wish to start soon.
ReplyDeleteThank you Kathy are you still quilting?
ReplyDeleteYay Loadsofsomething good luck and I would love to see how they turn out!
ReplyDeleteI love this! Moments with your mom and now moments your daughters share with you. Priceless!
ReplyDelete